Saturday, October 27, 2012

Philippine National Museum and Beyond

How many of us have ever been visited our National Museum? I've been to many museums in our country and in some foreign museums but I must confess, I am one of those who have not been to our National Museum.

I once watched on television the GMA7's TV documentary about National Treasures. I thought to myself, why I haven't visited the National Museum of the Philippines ever? Curiosity got me and I told myself that one day I will  go and check what's inside. Opportunity came when the National Museum administration announced that for the whole month of October, the museum will be  open to public for FREE. This opportunity should not be missed. 

On October 26, 2012, I visited the National Museum of the Philippines and the Luneta which I discovered for the first time that there was a big Magellan's statue in the park (lol!) and the actual execution site Dr. Jose P. Rizal. (pasens'ya, tao lang. limitado ang kalaalaman sa sariling bayan, hahaha!)

National Museum Building



The Spoliarium is the most valuable oil-on-canvas painting by Juan Luna. 
 
With a size of 4.22 meters x 7.675 meters, it is the largest painting in the Philippines.
I
t was made by Luna in 1884 as an entry to the prestigious
Exposicion de Bellas Artes (Madrid Art Exposition, May 1884) 

Vicente S. Manansala, Nat'l. Artist

Planting of the Cross
Vicente S.  Manansala, Oil in Canvas, 1965

The Session Hall of the Senate of the Republic of the Philippines

Oyang Dapitana
1. Guillermo E. Tolentino, Bronze Cast, 1961
2. Dr. Jose P. Rizal, Plaster of Paris, 1894
3.  Isabelo L. Tampinco, Plaster of Paris, Undated

El Ermetano
Dr. Jose P. Rizal, Plaster of Paris, Undated

Portrait of a Lady (Unfinished)
Fernando Amorsolo, Oil in Canvas, Undated

Magellan's Statue at Luneta Park

Rizal's Monument
Rizal's Execution Site

Don't be a stranger in our own country, visit the Philippine National Museum and our Heritage sites. 

Photo Gallery in my facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment

1911: Rizal Park Hotel

Rizal Park Hotel Lobby Thinking where to stay overnight in Manila?   My sister and her family just arrived from Germany and ...